Friday, April 19, 2013

A-Z Challenge


For the A-Z challenge, we decided to post a new and original poem every day (yipes!)  Today, Juliet tackles the letter Q.



Quiet

A long time ago
And this is something I know is true, but
Can no longer conjure the feeling of

I hated quiet

I played music to cover up its aggressive
Reminder of loneliness
Talked on the phone for hours
Rather than acknowledge its
Sullen presence
Arms folded across its knees in the corner

First impressions have never been my strength
I believed that Robin was a snob, Shari too sly
And Leslie so fierce that she might sting
They are all my finest friends now
Sisters who assemble all of these traits into something
Whose light I am lucky to stand in

Dazzling, brilliant, powerful

This is also true of quiet

Dear Quiet,
My initial judgment of you was harsh
I thought you made up of glinting hooks
Brutal barbs

But your needles keep the intruders away
And I am so grateful for your protection

Forgive me

Come sit with me
Share a cold glass of vodka or read a book on my bed
Let me unwind in your temperate embrace
I promise to be a better friend

©2013 Juliet Bond all rights reserved

21 comments:

  1. When I was young, I always had something running to avoid quiet. I now cherish it.
    Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. We have three kids, two cats and a dog. I really took quiet for granted...

      Delete
  3. I'm like Al, this poem suits me as well. Another beautiful piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is truly beautiful. I love the image of Silence's sullen presence in the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would revise that part to make clear that sullen is a teenager :)

      Delete
  5. very nice.....funny how we change. I also did Quiet for today....have a great weekend.

    Jules
    A Dose of Jules

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this, J! I had the same issues with Quiet and no consider Quiet one of my best friends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be the three kids thing...for both of us.

      Delete
  7. I love this so much because I can relate to it so purely! I was a lonely child, so quiet scared me. It's only now, with a house full of children, that I crave it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a beautiful poem! I honestly couldn't live without my quiet. It keeps me grounded, helps me focus and gives me so much peace, especially in this chaotic world. Quiet is positively beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely. Quiet is one of my most favourite things, not easy to find but treasured when I do!

    ReplyDelete