Thursday, June 19, 2014

Lucky

This month is filled with birthdays, anniversaries and holidays.  It gets me pretty nostalgic about family, friends and the incredible luck that my life is filled with.

I can't think of a title for this one so if anyone has a suggestion...


What if there was nothing better
Than the shadowed, slanted pool of
Silence in our early morning living room?

What if your holding up the covers
To let me slide in after a long, worth-it day
Is better than the taste of salt and chocolate?

What if our children,
Butter colored, yielding and vulnerable,
Are the best ever born?

What if this year,
Parents still healthy despite it all,
Holds firm long enough to call them great grandparents?

What if our home
Warm and thick with cat hair,
Keeps its filthy luster forever?

What if I could keep wrap up these tender moments
Like so many flour-soft tacos
As protected as any row of socks,

Worn and waiting in a closed drawer.

1 comment: