Monday, May 19, 2014

Motivation

 According to Save the Children website:

Two-thirds of the world's 880 million illiterate adults are women. 

Girls are more than 70 percent of the 125 million children who don't have a school to attend. 

Significantly more girls than boys enrolled in the first grade fail to complete the first cycle of primary school.

Social traditions and deep-rooted religious and cultural beliefs are most often the barriers to expanding girls' educational opportunities in undeveloped countries around the world.

What can I do?

Last week Juliet and I got a chance to catch up over the phone. And despite all the things
Juliet does outside of raising her own family and teaching, she still manages to find time host Latvian orphans.(You can donate here.)

I started thinking about children stateside and abroad in need of help, both basic necessities and education. I researched some foundations and non-profit organizations when I came across the information above.

As a writer, as a reader, as a mother, I feel the need to do something.

So, what will I do?

What will you do?





2 comments:

  1. Well, we still owe $800 on the orphans. Anyone is welcome to help us bring the kids over! http://www.razoo.com/story/Kozule-Kids-Summer-In-Evanston

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many sad situations involving women & girls all around the world. I am thankful to have been born into a home where education was considered important for ALL of us.

    ReplyDelete