Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sunday Book Report

This week, I read two books by Liane Moriarty, What Alice Forgot and The Last Anniversary.  I couldn't put What Alice Forgot down.  I'd already enjoyed The Husband's Secret a few months ago so I was happy to give this author another try.  I think, despite my discomfort with fantasy, I am always down for a good time-travel story - or a sort of time-travel story, which is what this is.  Alice, a mother of three, forgets ten years of her life after a head bump and comes to discover that she's become an uptight, angry, skinny perfectionist who's marriage has ended and who is so busy she ignores the basic emotional needs of her children.  The mystery embedded in the story (this author always has great plot devices buried in her stories in order to keep the reader hooked) is what happened to Alice's marriage. She's getting a divorce but has no idea why because last she remembers, she was madly in love with her husband.

Something about that simple truth of what ten years can do to a relationship where resentments are inevitable and partnership is fraught with bills, misunderstandings, exhaustions and tiny betrayals (like last night when I double checked and asked my husband did he put my brand new, I-was-so-looking-forward-to-a-slice-of pie in the refrigerator before bed and he rolled his eyes and said, "yes" and when I got up this morning it was sitting on the counter in a custard puddle, the cream curdled on top, which is like the FIFTH time he has either sat upon, left in the car or in some other way destroyed a beloved pie that I was looking forward to.)

And for whatever reason, I need this author's very relatable stories right now.  I'm onto The Hypnotist's Love Story this morning.  By the end of the week, I will probably finish the last of her currently published novels, Three Wishes.

Sadly, I will probably read all of this writer's books, without any pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment