Monday, December 30, 2013

Motivation




Rejection can be a great motivator. My favorite kind of rejection is the kind that comes in a form letter with a little something tacked on at the end.

Most recently I received this one.

Dear Regina,
Thanks for submitting your poems —we greatly appreciated the chance to read them. However, after careful consideration, we don't feel they are a fit for us. 


[Here is where I almost hit the delete button until I glance at the following line]

We really did like your style, though, and we hope you'll submit to us again in the future.

[This is when I get motivated and start looking through all of my work to find the next poems to submit]


Maybe the next time I hear from this publication it maybe an acceptance. And even if it's not I know I can turn rejection into motivation.













4 comments:

  1. Good for you, Gina. Quitting is easy. It takes smarts to see past the rejection and find that motivation that someone took time to add because she/he obviously likes your work. I like it, too. Keep sending it. You just never know which "next corner" the acceptance will be around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your work--Happy New Year!!!!!

    ReplyDelete