Monday, January 14, 2013

Resolutions

 
 New Year's Day - now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions.  Next week, you can begin paving hell with them as usual.
-Mark Twain
The thing about resolutions is that they are precarious.  Someone once said that the promises we make to ourselves are the most important because, if we don’t keep them, we lose something essential.

If we don’t keep them we betray ourselves.

Then, the next time we promise ourselves something, we don’t trust that the promise will be kept.

That’s why resolutions are precarious.  Each time we make one, we run the risk of eroding our own confidence.

Last year, I didn’t bother to make resolutions.  My faith in myself was too bottomed out.  But I’m feeling pretty hopeful at the beginning of 2013.  So I made a short list.  The one most applicable to this blog is writing every day.  I need the goal to be realistic so sometimes; the writing may be a chapter of a novel.  But I know that there will be days where I feel too bogged down, the composition may be just an email or even just a Facebook post.

And that seems manageable.  That, I can do without damaging the trust I have in myself.

What can you do in 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment